A second York Sunbury Historical Society finding aid at the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick is a photograph collection. Some of these photographs are listed in the MC300 MS44. Copies of these images can be ordered from the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick.
1 Old Mount House, Grimross Island, St. John River at Gagetown (P4-2-01)
3 Old Legislative Council Chamber, Legislative Assembly Building
4 Part of an early Market House, Phoenix Square, Fredericton, 1863 (P4-2-04)
5 Halls of the Arts Building, UNB, with a view of box stove (P4-2-05)
6 Alexander Gibson in his sawmill in Marysville (P4-2-06)
7 University Avenue in the spring freshet of 1887, Fredericton (P4-2-07)
8 Officers Barracks, Fredericton, seen from the St. John River during flood of 1887 (P4-2-08)
9 Risteen’s Factory, built in former George J. Dibblee home, Queen and Smythe Streets, Fredericton (P4-2-09)
10 No. 1 Hose Co., Fredericton Fire Department, June 20, 1887 (P4-2-10)
11 Methodist Church at Marysville, built by Alexander Gibson, and dedicated January 6, 1873. This church was destroyed by fire; photo January 29, 1911 (T- 58)
12 Small Methodist Church on Carleton Street, 1840. This church burned in 1850; Copy of a watercolor (P4-2-12)
13 Aberdeen Mill, Fredericton west end, burned August 1905 (P4-2-13).
14 View from home of Sir George Perkins, on site later occupied by CNR Station. Picture shows Collegiate School and Christ Church Cathedral.
15 Church Street, Fredericton – between George and Charlotte Streets (P4-2-15)
16 Lovers Lanes, Rookwood – in winter (P4-2-16)
17 View from main house, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-17)
18 Caretaker’s cottage (early Acadian), Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-18)
19 Main house, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-19)
20 Main house, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-20)
21 Old barn, Rookwood, seen through an arch – Fredericton (P4-2-21)
22 Base stone from old grist mill, for grinding grain
23 Barns and covered entrance, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-23)
24 Ox-cart which belongs to Gov. Thomas Carleton (P4-2-24)
25 Root house (P4-2-25)
26 Home of Lieut. Samuel Denys Street (P4-2-26)
27 Ox-cart (P4-2-27)
28 Belmont, Lower Lincoln – built by John Murray Bliss
29 Home of Capt. Benjamin Glasier, Lincoln. Built about 1800, by Capt. Benjamin, the father of John Glasier. The first house on the same site was burned by Indians (P4-2-29)
30 Home of Col. John Simcoe Saunders, 752 King Street – Fredericton (P4-2-30)
31 Home of William Garden, United Empire Loyalist, Springhill – built 1790 (P4-2-31)
32 Rainsford House on Rainsford Lane, Old Road – near Fredericton (P4-2-32)
33 Trinity Church, Upper Maugerville. Burial place of the Carmen’s (P4-2-33)
34 Old Rectory, George Street, Fredericton; once home of the Roberts family (P4-2-34)
35 Stephen Glasier home, Lincoln – built about 1777 and torn down 1944. Stephen was the bachelor brother of Lt. Col. Glasier (P4-2-35)
36 John Hazen house, built 1776 (P4-2-36)
37 Barker home at Barker’s Point, Fredericton – built by Lieut. Stair Agnew, torn down about 1954 (P4-2-37)
38 One-time home of Hon. Thomas Wetmore, Atty-Gen. 1809 – Queen Street west of Northumberland Street, Fredericton (P4-2-38)
39 Rear view of house on Shore Street, Fredericton. Built by Col. Shore and once the home of Bliss Carman (P4-2-39)
40 Stone house built by Capt. Thomas Pepper at Lower St. Marys, 1826 (P4-2-40)
41 Woolford cottage, Regent Street – Fredericton
42 King’s Coffee House, Lower Queen Street – Fredericton; where Legislature first met in the Capital, July 18, 1788. Ward Chipman house far left, opened 1785 by Vanderbeck and Ackerman. Torn down for Playhouse, 1958 or early 1960’s (P4-2-42)
43 View of Rookwood House, Fredericton (P4-2-43)
44 Faculty and students, UNB – 1879 (P4-2-44)
45 View of Rookwood House, Fredericton (P4-2-45)
46 House at Queen and St. John Streets, Fredericton – built by Henry Winslow Miller and leased to Ward Chipman, 1836. House at right built by Edward Miller; birthplace of Francis Sherman (P4-2-46)
49 Rear view of house in P4 – 48. 1945 view modernized building where legislature first met
50 Rear view of house built by Edward Winslow Miller, between 1812 and 1820 (P4-2-50)
51 House at King and St. John Streets, Fredericton. Built by Edward Winslow Miller between 1812 and 1820, housed Central Bank of New Brunswick in 1836 and was occupied for many years by New Brunswick Department of Agriculture. Torn down late 1967 (P4-2-51)
52 Brick building on St. John Street, Fredericton – between King and Queen Streets. Was office of Edward Winslow Miller and Henry Smith; later was residence of R.P. Allen, long editor of the “Daily Mail”. New Brunswick Travel Bureau was first housed here, 1927 – afterwards occupied by Highway Engineers Branch, New Brunswick Department of Public Works; torn down to make way for the Playhouse (P4-2-52)
53 Golden Hall Inn, Waterloo Row – Fredericton (P4-2-53)
54 European and National American Railway Station, St. John (P4-2-54)
55 Odell House, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-55)
56 Stone house built by Lieut. Thomas Gill, Upper Maugerville (P4-2-56)
57 Last of the old Provincial Normal School, Fredericton. Early stages of the fire of Sunday – May 5, 1929 (P4-2-57)
58 Odell House, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-58)
59 Odell House, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-59)
60 Winter view of house, New Brunswick Agriculture Building, 1944, built by George Winslow Miller. Same house in P4–2- 50 and P4-2- 51 (P4-2-60)
61 “Frogmore” built by Chief Justice Carter, Maryland Hill – Fredericton (P4-2-61)
62 Woolford cottage, Regent Street – Fredericton
63 Old Rectory, Oromocto (P4-2-63)
64 Sleigh at Legislative Assembly Building bearing Lieut- Gov. William F. Todd and Col. W.P. Osborne (P4-2-64)
65 Stone engraved by Timothy O’Connor of the New Brunswick Crown Land Office showing “The Hermitage”, the home of Hon. Thomas Baillie, Commissioner of Crown Lands, 1824 – 1839
66 Shore house, Shore’s Island (P4-2-66)
67 Sunbury County Court House, Burton – built about 1825 (P4-2-67)
68 Home of Gerhardus Clows, Oromocto, “Loyalists” (P4-2-68)
69 Shore house, Shore’s Island – as at present (P4-2-69)
70 Christ Church Cathedral, Fredericton (P4-2-70)
71 Horse powered craft at Lunt’s Ferry, c 1900 (P4-2-71)
72 Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton east, from up-river (P4-2-72)
73 Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton east, from lumber yard (P4-2-73)
74 Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton east, from down-river (P4-2-74)
75 Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton east, from railway (P4-2-75)
76 Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton east, from down-river by the shore (P4-2-76)
78 Old Wainwright house (as above), actual collapse (P4-2-78)
79 Rubble marks site of old Wainwright house (as above) (P4-2-79)
81 Old McCaffery house (as above), actual dynamite blast (P4-2-81)
85 Old McCaffery house (as above), demolition proceeds (P4-2-85)
86 Old McCaffery house (as above), demolition proceeds (P4-2-86)
88 Old Rainsford house (as above), final stage of demolition (P4-2-88)
89 Inter-colonial Railway yards, Moncton, 1877. Moncton was incorporated as a town in 1855 when shipbuilding was the main industry. However, the advent of steam and iron ships soon brought the prosperity to an end, and Moncton reverted to village status in 1862. Almost 10 years later, Moncton became the Atlantic regional headquarters for the Intercolonial Railway and in 1875 became a town once more. This revival explains the civic motto, ‘Resurgo’, which means ‘I rise again’. Moncton became a city on April 23, 1890 (P4-2-89)
90 Burpee house, Burton – built 1813 (P4-2-90)
91 Burpee house, Burton – built 1813
92 Burpee house, Burton- view of one end (P4-2-92)
93 Corner stone of Burpee house, Burton – incised “E.B. May 1813” (P4-2-93)
94 Burpee house, Maugerville (P4-2-94)
95 Burpee house, Maugerville (P4-2-95)
96 West house, Long’s Creek (P4-2-96)
97 West house, Long’s Creek (P4-2-97)
98 West house, Long’s Creek (P4-2-98)
99 Smythe house, French Lake (P4-2-99)
100 Smythe house, French Lake (also spelled Smith) (P4-2-100)
101 Interior of old skating rink, corner of York and Saunders Streets, Fredericton – burned 1881.
102 Home of Jowett family – Elizabeth, New Jersey
103 Old round house at South Devon, built for Northern and Western Railway, 1887 (Canada Eastern – Inter-colonial – CNR); abandoned for new facilities farther east after destruction of first railway by ice the night of March 19, 1936. Later used as workshops by Ashley Colter Enterprises. Photo taken Sept. 1, 1947
104 Old Odell House, now deanery of Christ Church Cathedral, corner of Church and Brunswick Streets – Fredericton. Picture taken about 1930, shows well, since removed.
105 Queen Street, Fredericton – decorated for visit of Sir John A. MacDonald (P4-2-0105)
106 Two-seated carriage (good shot), built at Edgecombe’s Carriage Factory.
107 Northumberland and Brunswick Streets, Fredericton – showing hack of flooded street during freshet of 1923.
108 Wooden highway bridge over St. John River at Fredericton after fire had destroyed two middle spans. (T-891).
109 Market in City Hall Square, Fredericton – about 1887.
110 Queen Street below Regent Street in Fredericton, seen from the Queen Hotel. Military parade coming down street, good shot of John Simcoe Saunders house in right background.
111 Victoria Hotel, Saint John – 1877.
112 Christ Church Cathedral, Fredericton (poor shot).
113 Scene in Saint John after fire of 1877.
114 Camping scene near Edmundston. Left to right: Andy Stratton, Allen Randolph, D. Lee Babbitt, Charles G.D. Roberts and Bliss Carman (T-603).
115 Very early shot of Arts Building, UNB – Fredericton (poor shot).
116 Glasier Manor near the mouth of the Nerepis, built about 1765.
117 Stratton House on River Road between Springhill and Island View.
118 Early view of Church Street between King and Queen Streets, Fredericton, (Medley and Miller).
121 House opposite covered bridge at Rusagonis, part of the Peabody grant, bricks stamped “Peabody”.
122 Old Hatch House in Oromocto.
123 Griffiths house at Keswick Ridge.
124 Oscar Sharp house in Scotch Settlement.
125 Oscar Sharp house in Scotch Settlement.
126 Smith house at the top of the hill by the new bridge in Rusagonis, said to be very old. Photo taken Aug. 1964
127 Chicken house at the Smith farm, French Lake. Photo taken March 1964
128 Fredericton City Rugby Team, 1898 – names with proof print
129 Fredericton High School Football Team, 1897 – names with proof print
130 Fredericton Football Team, 1900, names with proof print
131 Fredericton Football Team, 1901, names with proof print
132 Fredericton City Rugby Team, 1900’s, names with proof print
133 Fredericton Doctor’s meet Chatham Baseball Team at Scully’s Grove, Fredericton. The proceeds of $400.00 going towards the first x-ray machine at Victoria Public Hospital, Fredericton. The team front row, left to right – Harry F. McLeod, “Doc” Kelly, Dr. Seery, Fred B. Edgecombe, C. Fred Chestnut, T. Carleton Allen, Fred Hilyard, Dr. James Bridges, Brad Winslow, A.F. Street, James H. Hawthorne and Matthew Tennant. Second row, left to right – James T. Sharkey, Dr. George McNally, Dr. W.C. Crockett, John Palmer, R.W.L. Tibbets, James H. Crockett, Albert Edgecombe, Dr. Fred Gunter, R.P. Foster, George Y. Dibblee and L.C. McNutt. Back row, left to right – D. Lee Babbitt, John Kilburn and F. St. J. Bliss, ca. 1902 (P4-2-0133)
134 Group of UNB athletes, nothing further known
135 Hunting party on the Portobello, early 1900’s, name with proof print
136 Old Hatch house in Oromocto
137 Old Hatch house in Oromocto
138 Old Hatch house in Oromocto
139 Stone building on Regent Street, Fredericton – formerly occupied by the Knights of Columbus. On back stone from the Rainsford Quarry, old Army Building on Regent Street