Tag Archives: Clows

P4-2 York Sunbury Historical Society Photographs

A second York Sunbury Historical Society finding aid at the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick is a photograph collection.  Some of these photographs are listed in the MC300 MS44.  Copies of these images can be ordered from the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick

You can download a PDF version here. 

P4-2-01 - Old Mount House, Grimross Island, St. John River at Gagetown

1  Old Mount House, Grimross Island, St. John River at Gagetown (P4-2-01

2  Copy of watercolor of Fredericton, 1818 (P4-2-02

3  Old Legislative Council Chamber, Legislative Assembly Building 

4  Part of an early Market House, Phoenix Square, Fredericton, 1863 (P4-2-04

5  Halls of the Arts Building, UNB, with a view of box stove (P4-2-05)

6  Alexander Gibson in his sawmill in Marysville (P4-2-06

7  University Avenue in the spring freshet of 1887, Fredericton (P4-2-07

P4-2-07 University Avenue in the spring freshet of 1887, Fredericton

8  Officers Barracks, Fredericton, seen from the  St. John River during flood of 1887 (P4-2-08

9  Risteen’s Factory, built in former George J. Dibblee home, Queen and Smythe Streets, Fredericton (P4-2-09

10  No. 1 Hose Co., Fredericton Fire Department, June 20, 1887  (P4-2-10

11  Methodist Church at Marysville, built by Alexander Gibson, and dedicated January 6, 1873.  This church was destroyed by fire; photo January 29, 1911  (T- 58) 

12  Small Methodist Church on Carleton Street, 1840.  This church burned in 1850; Copy of a watercolor (P4-2-12

P4-2-13 Aberdeen Mill, Fredericton west end, burned August 1905

13  Aberdeen Mill, Fredericton west end, burned August 1905  (P4-2-13).   

14  View from home of Sir George Perkins, on site later occupied by CNR Station.  Picture shows Collegiate School and Christ Church Cathedral.   

15  Church Street, Fredericton – between George and Charlotte Streets (P4-2-15

16  Lovers Lanes, Rookwood – in winter (P4-2-16

17  View from main house, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-17

18  Caretaker’s cottage (early Acadian), Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-18)

P4-2-18 Caretaker’s cottage (early Acadian), Rookwood – Fredericton

19  Main house, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-19)

20  Main house, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-20

21  Old barn, Rookwood, seen through an arch – Fredericton (P4-2-21)

22  Base stone from old grist mill, for grinding grain 

23  Barns and covered entrance, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-23)

24  Ox-cart which belongs to Gov. Thomas Carleton (P4-2-24)

25  Root house (P4-2-25)

26  Home of Lieut. Samuel Denys Street (P4-2-26)

27  Ox-cart (P4-2-27)

28  Belmont, Lower Lincoln – built by John Murray Bliss 

P4-2-29 Home of Capt. Benjamin Glasier, Lincoln. Built about 1800, by Capt. Benjamin, the father of John Glasier.

29  Home of Capt. Benjamin Glasier, Lincoln.  Built about 1800, by Capt. Benjamin, the father of John Glasier. The first house on the same site was burned by Indians (P4-2-29)

30  Home of Col. John Simcoe Saunders, 752 King Street – Fredericton (P4-2-30)

31  Home of William Garden, United Empire Loyalist, Springhill – built 1790 (P4-2-31)

32  Rainsford House on Rainsford Lane, Old Road – near Fredericton (P4-2-32)

33  Trinity Church, Upper Maugerville. Burial place of the Carmen’s (P4-2-33)

34  Old Rectory, George Street, Fredericton; once home of the Roberts family (P4-2-34)

P4-2-35 Stephen Glasier home, Lincoln – built about 1777 and torn down 1944.

35  Stephen Glasier home, Lincoln – built about 1777 and torn down 1944.  Stephen was the bachelor brother of Lt. Col. Glasier (P4-2-35)

36  John Hazen house, built 1776 (P4-2-36)

37  Barker home at Barker’s Point, Fredericton – built by Lieut. Stair Agnew, torn down about 1954 (P4-2-37)

38  One-time home of Hon. Thomas Wetmore, Atty-Gen. 1809 – Queen Street west of Northumberland Street, Fredericton (P4-2-38)

39  Rear view of house on Shore Street, Fredericton.  Built by Col. Shore and once the home of Bliss Carman (P4-2-39)

40  Stone house built by Capt. Thomas Pepper at Lower St. Marys, 1826 (P4-2-40)

41  Woolford cottage, Regent Street – Fredericton 

42  King’s Coffee House, Lower Queen Street – Fredericton; where Legislature first met in the Capital, July 18, 1788.  Ward Chipman house far left, opened 1785 by Vanderbeck and Ackerman.  Torn down for Playhouse, 1958 or early 1960’s (P4-2-42)

43  View of Rookwood House, Fredericton (P4-2-43)

44  Faculty and students, UNB – 1879 (P4-2-44

P4-2-45 View of Rookwood House, Fredericton

45  View of Rookwood House, Fredericton (P4-2-45

46  House at Queen and St. John Streets, Fredericton – built by Henry Winslow Miller and leased to Ward Chipman, 1836.  House at right built by Edward Miller; birthplace of Francis Sherman (P4-2-46)

47  Rear view of Ward Chipman house in P4–2- 46 (P4-2-47)

48  Modern appearance of King’s American Coffee House (P4-2-42).  Torn down the summer of 1958 or (1961?) to make way for the Playhouse.  Front view of Inn where NB Legislature first met 

49  Rear view of house in P4 – 48.  1945 view modernized building where legislature first met 

50  Rear view of house built by Edward Winslow  Miller, between 1812 and 1820 (P4-2-50)

51  House at King and St. John Streets, Fredericton.  Built by Edward Winslow Miller between 1812 and 1820, housed Central Bank of New Brunswick in 1836 and was occupied for many years by New Brunswick Department of Agriculture.  Torn down late 1967 (P4-2-51)

52  Brick building on St. John Street, Fredericton – between King and Queen Streets.  Was office of Edward Winslow Miller and Henry Smith; later was residence of R.P. Allen, long editor of the “Daily Mail”. New Brunswick Travel Bureau was first housed here, 1927 – afterwards occupied by Highway Engineers Branch, New Brunswick Department of Public Works; torn down to make way for the Playhouse (P4-2-52)

P4-2-53 Golden Hall Inn, Waterloo Row – Fredericton

53  Golden Hall Inn, Waterloo Row – Fredericton (P4-2-53)

54  European and National American Railway Station, St. John  (P4-2-54)

55  Odell House, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-55)

56  Stone house built by Lieut. Thomas Gill, Upper Maugerville (P4-2-56)

57  Last of the old Provincial Normal School, Fredericton.  Early stages of the fire of Sunday – May 5, 1929 (P4-2-57)

58  Odell House, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-58)

P4-2-59 Odell House, Rookwood – Fredericton

59  Odell House, Rookwood – Fredericton (P4-2-59)

60  Winter view of house, New Brunswick Agriculture Building, 1944, built by George Winslow Miller.  Same house in P4–2- 50 and P4-2- 51  (P4-2-60)

61  “Frogmore” built by Chief Justice Carter, Maryland Hill – Fredericton (P4-2-61)

62  Woolford cottage, Regent Street – Fredericton 

63  Old Rectory, Oromocto (P4-2-63)

64  Sleigh at Legislative Assembly Building bearing Lieut- Gov. William F. Todd and Col. W.P. Osborne (P4-2-64)

65  Stone engraved by Timothy O’Connor of the New Brunswick Crown Land Office showing “The Hermitage”, the home of Hon. Thomas Baillie, Commissioner of Crown Lands, 1824 – 1839 

P4-2-66 Shore house, Shore’s Island

66  Shore house, Shore’s Island (P4-2-66)

67  Sunbury County Court House, Burton – built about 1825 (P4-2-67)

68  Home of Gerhardus Clows, Oromocto, “Loyalists” (P4-2-68)

69  Shore house, Shore’s Island – as at present (P4-2-69)

70  Christ Church Cathedral, Fredericton (P4-2-70)

71  Horse powered craft at Lunt’s Ferry, c 1900 (P4-2-71)

P4-2-69 Shore house, Shore’s Island – as at present

72  Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton east, from up-river (P4-2-72)

73  Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton east, from lumber yard (P4-2-73)

74  Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton east, from down-river (P4-2-74)

75  Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton east, from railway (P4-2-75)

76  Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton east, from down-river by the shore (P4-2-76)

77  Old Wainwright house, St. John and Queen Streets, Fredericton; in first stage of demolition to make way for the Lord Beaverbrook Hotel, 1946 (P4-2-77)

P4-2-71 Horse powered craft at Lunt’s Ferry, c 1900

78  Old Wainwright house (as above), actual collapse (P4-2-78)

79  Rubble marks site of old Wainwright house (as above) (P4-2-79)

80  Old McCaffery house, east side of Queen Street, first stage of demolition to make way for the Lord Beaverbrook Hotel, 1946 (P4-2-80)

81  Old McCaffery house (as above), actual dynamite blast (P4-2-81)

82  First steel rises for the Lord Beaverbrook Hotel, Fredericton (P4-2-82)

83  Lord Beaverbrook Hotel, Fredericton – with the old Rainsford house partly demolished at left centre (P4-2-83)

84  Old McCaffery house, Queen Street east – Fredericton, just prior to demolition to make way for the Lord Beaverbrook Hotel, 1946 (P4-2-84)

85  Old McCaffery house (as above), demolition proceeds (P4-2-85)

86  Old McCaffery house (as above), demolition proceeds (P4-2-86)

87  Front view of the old Rainsford house, Queen Street east, Fredericton – demolished to make way for the Lord Beaverbrook Hotel, 1946 (P4-2-87)

88  Old Rainsford house (as above), final stage of demolition (P4-2-88)

P4-2-89 Inter-colonial Railway yards, Moncton, 1877

89  Inter-colonial Railway yards, Moncton, 1877.  Moncton was incorporated as a town in 1855 when shipbuilding was the main industry.  However, the advent of steam and iron ships soon brought the prosperity to an end, and Moncton reverted to village status in 1862.  Almost 10 years later, Moncton became the Atlantic regional headquarters for the Intercolonial Railway and in 1875 became a town once more.  This revival explains the civic motto, ‘Resurgo’, which means ‘I rise again’.  Moncton became a city on April 23, 1890 (P4-2-89)

90  Burpee house, Burton – built 1813 (P4-2-90)

91  Burpee house, Burton – built 1813 

92  Burpee house, Burton- view of one end (P4-2-92)

93  Corner stone of Burpee house, Burton – incised “E.B. May 1813” (P4-2-93)

94  Burpee house, Maugerville (P4-2-94)

95  Burpee house, Maugerville (P4-2-95)

96  West house, Long’s Creek (P4-2-96)

P4-2-96 West house, Long’s Creek

97  West house, Long’s Creek (P4-2-97)

98  West house, Long’s Creek (P4-2-98)

99  Smythe house, French Lake (P4-2-99)

100  Smythe house, French Lake (also spelled Smith) (P4-2-100)

101  Interior of old skating rink, corner  of York and Saunders Streets, Fredericton – burned 1881.  

102  Home of Jowett family – Elizabeth, New Jersey    

103  Old round house at South Devon, built for Northern and Western Railway, 1887 (Canada Eastern – Inter-colonial – CNR); abandoned for new facilities farther east after destruction of first railway by ice the night of March 19, 1936. Later used as workshops by Ashley Colter Enterprises.   Photo taken Sept. 1, 1947 

104  Old Odell House, now deanery of Christ Church Cathedral, corner of Church and Brunswick Streets – Fredericton.  Picture taken about 1930, shows well, since removed.    

P4-2-0105 Queen Street, Fredericton – decorated for visit of Sir John A. MacDonald

105  Queen Street, Fredericton – decorated for visit of Sir John A. MacDonald (P4-2-0105)

106  Two-seated carriage (good shot), built at Edgecombe’s Carriage Factory.  

107  Northumberland and Brunswick Streets, Fredericton – showing hack of flooded street during freshet of 1923.  

108  Wooden highway bridge over St. John River at Fredericton after fire had destroyed two middle spans. (T-891).     

109  Market in City Hall Square, Fredericton – about 1887.    

110  Queen Street below Regent Street in Fredericton, seen from the Queen Hotel. Military parade coming down street, good shot of John Simcoe Saunders house in right background.     

111  Victoria Hotel, Saint John – 1877.  

P4-2-54 European and National American Railway Station St. John

112  Christ Church Cathedral, Fredericton (poor shot).   

113  Scene in Saint John after fire of 1877.   

114  Camping scene near Edmundston. Left to right: Andy Stratton, Allen Randolph, D. Lee Babbitt, Charles G.D. Roberts and Bliss Carman  (T-603).   

115  Very early shot of Arts Building, UNB – Fredericton (poor shot).   

116  Glasier Manor near the mouth of the Nerepis, built about 1765.   

117  Stratton House on River Road between Springhill and Island View.   

118  Early view of Church Street between King and Queen Streets, Fredericton, (Medley and Miller).   

119      

120      

121  House opposite covered bridge at Rusagonis, part of the Peabody grant, bricks stamped “Peabody”.     

122  Old Hatch House in Oromocto.   

123  Griffiths house at Keswick Ridge.   

124  Oscar Sharp house in Scotch Settlement. 

125  Oscar Sharp house in Scotch Settlement.   

126  Smith house at the top of the hill by the new bridge in Rusagonis, said to be very old.  Photo taken Aug. 1964 

127  Chicken house at the Smith farm, French Lake.  Photo taken March 1964 

128  Fredericton City Rugby Team, 1898 – names with proof print 

129  Fredericton High School Football Team, 1897 – names with proof print 

130  Fredericton Football Team, 1900, names with proof print 

131  Fredericton Football Team, 1901, names with proof print 

132  Fredericton City Rugby Team, 1900’s, names with proof print 

133  Fredericton Doctor’s meet Chatham Baseball Team at Scully’s Grove, Fredericton. The  proceeds of $400.00 going towards the first x-ray machine at Victoria Public Hospital, Fredericton.  The team front row, left to right – Harry F. McLeod, “Doc” Kelly, Dr. Seery, Fred B. Edgecombe, C. Fred Chestnut, T. Carleton Allen, Fred Hilyard, Dr. James Bridges, Brad Winslow, A.F. Street, James H. Hawthorne and Matthew Tennant.  Second row, left to right – James T. Sharkey, Dr. George McNally, Dr. W.C. Crockett, John Palmer, R.W.L. Tibbets, James H. Crockett, Albert Edgecombe, Dr. Fred Gunter, R.P. Foster, George Y. Dibblee and L.C. McNutt.  Back row, left to right – D. Lee Babbitt, John Kilburn and F. St. J. Bliss, ca. 1902 (P4-2-0133)

134  Group of UNB athletes, nothing further known 

135  Hunting party on the Portobello, early 1900’s, name with proof print 

136  Old Hatch house in Oromocto 

137  Old Hatch house in Oromocto 

138  Old Hatch house in Oromocto 

139  Stone building on Regent Street, Fredericton – formerly occupied by the Knights of Columbus.  On back stone from the Rainsford Quarry, old Army Building on Regent Street