If you are interested in any of these files then please contact the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick.
“This series includes 227 photographs and pictures housed in the Provincial Archives Audio-Visual Section. Most of the documents in this series are photographs, which date between c. 1860 and c. 1960, but there are also a few sketches of individuals and buildings. Researchers must note that the “P number” following each description is the Audio-Visual Section code necessary to retrieving the document.”
1 Old Mount House, Grimross Island, Gagetown, Queens County; P4/2/1.
2 Copy of a watercolour of Fredericton, 1818; P4/2/2.
3 Old Legislative Council Chamber, Legislative Building, Fredericton; P4/2/3.
4 Market house, Phoenix Square, Fredericton; 1863, P4/2/4 and P5/6.
5 Interior of Hall of Arts Building (Kings College), U.N.B., Fredericton, showing stove and clock, 1898; P4/2/5.
6 Alexander Gibson in his sawmill, Marysville; P4/2/6.
7 University Avenue, Fredericton, in flood of 1887; P4/2/7.
8 Officers barracks as seen from St. John River during flood of 1887, Fredericton; P4/2/8 and P5/313.
9 Risteen’s factory, former George J. Dibblee house, Fredericton; P4/2/9.
10 Number One Hose Company, Fredericton Fire Department, June 20, 1887; P4/2/10 and P5/374.
11 Methodist Church built by Alexander Gibson, Marysville; P4/2/11 and P5/58.
12 Copy of watercolour showing small Methodist church, Carleton St., Fredericton, 1840; P4/2/12.
13 Aberdeen Mill, Fredericton; P4/2/13 and P5/362.
14 Collegiate School and Christ Church Cathedral from the house of Sir George Parkin, Fredericton; P4/2/14.
15 Church Street between George St. and Charlotte Street, Fredericton; P4/2/15.
16 Lovers Lane, Rookwood, Fredericton; P4/2/16.
17 View from the main house, Rookwood, Fredericton; P4/2/17.
18 Caretaker’s cottage, Rookwood, Fredericton; P4/2/18.
19 Main house, Rookwood, Fredericton; P4/2/19.
20 Main house, Rookwood, Fredericton; P4/2/20.
21 Barn, Rookwood, Fredericton; P4/2/22.
22 Base stone from a gristmill; P4/2/22.
23 Barn and covered entrance, Rookwood, Fredericton; P4/2/23.
24 Ox-cart that belonged to Lieutenant-Governor Thomas Carleton; P4/2/24.
25 Root house; P4/2/25.
26 House of Samuel Denys Street; P4/2/26.
27 Ox-cart; P4/2/27.
28 Old Mount House with man and woman standing out front, Grimross Island, Gagetown; P1/31.
29 House of Benjamin Glasier, Lincoln; P4/2/29.
30 House of John Saunders, Fredericton; P4/2/30.
31 House of William Garden, Springhill; P4/2/31.
32 Rainsford house, near Fredericton; P4/2/32.
33 Trinity Church, Upper Maugerville; P4/2/33.
34 Old Rectory, former house of the Roberts family, George St., Fredericton; P4/2/34.
35 Stephen Glasier house, Lincoln; P4/2/35.
36 John Hazen house; P4/2/36.
37 Barker house built by Stair Agnew, Barker’s Point, Fredericton; P4/2/37.
38 House of Attorney-General Thomas Wetmore, Fredericton; P4/2/38.
39 Rear view of the George Shore house in which Bliss Carman once lived, Fredericton; P4/2/39.
40 Stone house built by Thomas Peppers, Lower St. Mary’s; P4/2/40.
41 Woolford Cottage, Regent Street, Fredericton; P4/2/41.
42 King’s Coffee House where the General Assembly first met in Fredericton, (with a view of the Ward Chipman house); P4/2/42.
43 Rookwood house, Fredericton; P4/2/43.
44 Faculty and students (Encaenia), University of New Brunswick, 1879; P4/2/44 and P5/75.
45 Rookwood house, Fredericton; P4/2/45.
46 House built by Henry Winslow Miller and leased to Ward Chipman, Fredericton, 1836; P4/2/46.
47 Rear view of the Edward Winslow Miller house; P4/2/47.
48 Front view of the King’s Coffee House, which was torn down in 1958 to make room for the Playhouse; P4/2/48.
49 Rear view of King’s Coffee House; P4/2/49.
50 Rear view of the Edward Winslow Miller house, Fredericton; P4/2/50.
51 House of Edward Winslow Miller which housed Central Bank of N.B. in 1836 and was occupied by the Dept. of Agriculture for many years, Fredericton; P4/2/51.
52 Brick building which housed Edward Winslow Miller, Henry Smith, R.P. Allen, the Travel Bureau and the Department of Public Works, respectively, and was removed to make way for Playhouse, Fredericton; P4/2/52.
53 Golden Ball Inn, Waterloo Row, Fredericton; P4/2/53.
54 European and North American Railway Station, Saint John; P4/2/54.
55 Odell House, Rookwood, Fredericton; P4/2/55.
56 Stone house built by Thomas Gill, Upper Maugerville; P4/2/56.
57 Provincial Normal School burning, Fredericton, 1929; P4/2/57.
58 Odell house, Rookwood, Fredericton; P4/2/58.
59 Odell house, Rookwood, Fredericton; P4/2/59.
60 Edward Winslow Miller house, Fredericton; P4/2/60.
61 “Frogmore” built by Chief Justice Carter, Maryland Hill, Fredericton; P4/2/61.
62 Woolford cottage, Regent St., Fredericton; P4/2/62.
63 Old rectory, Oromocto; P4/2/63.
64 Lieutenant-Governor William F. Todd and Col. W.P. Osorne in as sleigh in front of the Legislative Building, Fredericton; P4/2/64.
65 Stone engraved by Timothy O’Connor of the Crown Land Office showing “The Hermitage”, the house of Thomas Baillie, Fredericton; P4/2/65.
66 Shore house, Shore’s Island, York County; P4/2/66.
67 Sunbury County court house, Burton; P4/2/67.
68 House of Gerhardus Clowes, Oromocto; P4/2/68.
69 Shore house, Shore’s Island, York County; P4/2/69.
70 Christ Church Cathedral, Fredericton; P4/2/70.
71 Horse powered craft at Lunt’s Ferry; P4/2/71.
72 Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton; P4/2/72.
73 Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton; P4/2/73.
74 Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton; P4/2/74.
75 Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton; P4/2/75.
76 Victoria Mill (Fraser’s), Fredericton; P4/2/76.
77 Wainwright house in first stage of demolition to make way for Lord Beaverbrook Hotel, Fredericton 1946; P4/2/77.
78 Wainwright house being demolished; P4/2/78.
79 Rubble of Wainwright house; P4/2/79.
80 McCaffery House in first stage of demolition to make way for Lord Beaverbrook Hotel, Fredericton, 1946; P4/2/80.
81 McCaffery house being demolished; P4/2/81.
82 Lord Beaverbrook Hotel construction begins, Fredericton; P4/2/82.
83 Lord Beaverbrook Hotel with Rainsford house partly demolished at left centre; P4/2/82.
84 McCaffery house before demolition, Fredericton, 1946; P4/2/84.
85 McCaffery house being demolished; P4/2/85.
86 McCaffery house being demolished; P4/2/86.
87 Rainsford house before demolition, 1946; P4/2/87.
88 Rubble of Rainsford house; P4/2/88.
89 Intercolonial railway yards, Moncton, 1877; P4/2/89.
90 Burpee house, Sheffield; P4/2/90.
91 Burpee house, Sheffield; P4/2/91.
92 Burpee house; P4/2/92.
93 Cornerstone of Burpee house; P4/2/93.
94 Burpee house; P4/2/94.
95 Burpee house; P4/2/95.
96 West house, Long’s Creek, York County; P4/2/96.
97 West house, Long’s Creek, York County; P4/2/97.
98 West house, Long’s Creek, York County; P4/2/98.
99 Smythe house, French Lake, Sunbury County; P4/2/99.
100 Smythe house, French Lake, Sunbury County; P4/2/100.
101 Interior of skating rink, corner of York and Saunders Streets, Fredericton, which burned in 1881; P4/2/101.
102 House of Jowett family, New Jersey; P4/2/102.
103 Old roundhouse built for Northern and Western Railway, 1887; P4/2/103.
104 Odell house, now deanery of Christ Church Cathedral, corner of Church and Brunswick Streets, Fredericton; P4/2/104.
105 Queen Street decorated for the visit of Sir John A. MacDonald, Fredericton; P4/2/105.
106 Carriage at Edgecombe’s Carriage Factory; P4/2/106.
107 Fredericton streets, Northumberland and Brunswick, flooded in 1923; P4/2/107.
108 Fredericton bridge after fire had destroyed two middle spans.
109 Market in City Hall Square, Fredericton, about 1887; P4/2/109.
110 Military parade as seen from the Queen Hotel (with the Simcoe Saunders house in right background), Fredericton; P4/2/110.
111 Victoria Hotel, Saint John, 1877; P4/2/111.
112 Christ Church Cathedral, Fredericton; P4/2/112.
113 Saint John after the Great Fire of 1877; P4/2/113.
114 Camping scene showing Andy Stratton, Allen Randolph, D. Lee Babbitt, Charles G.D. Roberts and Bliss Carman, near Edmundston; P4/2/114 and P5/603.
115 Kings College (Arts Building) Fredericton; P4/2/115.
116 Glasier Manor near the mouth of the Nerepis River; P4/2/116.
117 Stratton house, River Road between Springhill and Island View, York County; P4/2/117.
118 Church street between King and Queen Streets, Fredericton; P4/2/118.
119 Old Mount House, Grimross Island, Gagetown; P1/32.
120 Government House, Fredericton; P1/33.
121 House opposite covered bridge at Rusagonis, Sunbury County; P4/2/121.
122 Hatch House, Oromocto; P4/2/122.
123 Griffiths house, Keswick Ridge, York County; P4/2/123.
124 Oscar Sharpe house, Scotch Settlement; P4/2/124.
125 Oscar Sharpe house, Scotch Settlement; P4/2/125.
126 Smith house, Rusagonis; P4/2/126.
127 Out building at Smith farm, French Lake, Sunbury County; P4/2/127.
128 Fredericton City Rugby Team, 1898; P/2/128.
129 Fredericton High School Football Team, 1897; P4/2/129.
130 Fredericton Football Team, 1900; P4/2/130.
131 Fredericton Football Team, 1901; P4/2/131.
132 Fredericton City Rugby Team, early 1900’s; P4/2/132.
133 Fredericton doctors meet Chatham baseball team at Scully’s Grove, Fredericton; P4/2/133.
134 Group of U.N.B. athletes; P4/2/134.
135 Hunting party on the Portobello, early 1900’s; P4/2/135.
136 Hatch house, Oromocto; P4/2/136.
137 Hatch house, Oromocto; P4/2/137.
138 Hatch house, Oromocto; P4/2/138.
139 Stone building once occupied by the Knights of Columbus, Fredericton; P4/2/139.
140 Group of soldiers at rear of barracks, Fredericton, c. 1884; P37/327.
141 Canadian volunteers to the South African War including William Fielders; P1/2.
142 Bliss Carman house, Shore St., Fredericton; P1/3.
143 Group of young men, Fredericton, c. 1900; P1/4 and P5/75.
144 Exhibition building, Fredericton, pre-1907; P1/5.
145 Hay scow and tugboat, 1907; P1/6.
146 Souvenirs made from bird’s-eye maple and deer horns; P1/7a.
147 The mouth of the Matapedia River, Quebec; P1/7b.
148 The Grand Falls gorge, Madawaska County; P1/7c.
149 The Grand Falls gorge; P1/7d.
150 The Grand Falls gorge; P1/7e.
151 The Grand Falls gorge; P1/7f.
152 The hydropower house at the foot of the Grand Falls gorge; P1/7g.
153 Hydro dam at the head of the Grand Falls gorge; P1/7h.
154 Bridge over the Restigouche River into Matapedia, Quebec; P1/7i.
155 “Morrissey Rock”, from the Restigouche River; P1/7j.
156 “Morrissey Rock”, showing the tunnel; P1/7k.
157 The Restigouche River from Morrissey Rock; P1/7l.
158 The Restigouche River from “Morrissey Rock” (Sugarloaf Mountain, Campbellton in the distance); P1/7m.
159 Lord Baden-Powell in Saint John for a Boy Scout Rally; P1/8.
160 Waverly and Lorne Hotels after fire, Fredericton, 1938; P1/9.
161 “Wangan” supply boat for river drive near the Water Works, Fredericton, 1948; P1/10.
162 Silver tankard and candlesticks brought from Plymouth, Mass., by Edward Winslow; P1/11.
164 Royal Regiment of Canadian Infantry officer’s quarters, Fredericton, c. 1900; P1/35.
165 Normal School and City Hall, Fredericton, c. 1900; P1/36.
166 Kings Head Tavern, Grimross, Queens County; P1/37.
167 Locomotive No. 2 “St. Stephen”; P2/1.
168 Edmundston, c. 1880; P2/2 and P5/554.
169 Fredericton from Brick Hill with C.A. Taylor in foreground, 1897; P2/3 and P5/305b.
170 Male choir from Fredericton Fire Dept. on stage at City Hall, 1899; P2/4.
171 Silsby Steam Engine Co., Fredericton Fire Department, c. 1900; P2/5.
172 Central Hose Station No. 2, Fredericton Fire Department, c. 1900; P2/6.
173 Hugh O’Neill with Canada’s last fire horses, Fredericton, 1938; P2/7.
174 Street scene in Oskosh, Wisconsin; P2/8.
175 Street scene in Oskosh, Wis.; P2/9.
176 Street scene in Oskosh, Wis.; P2/10.
177 Fredericton Brass Band, 1915, P37/111.
178 Automobile, Moncton, 1931; P2/12.
179 Arms of the City of Fredericton presented to “H.M.C.S.”, 1943;P2/13.
180 Building removed to make way for Playhouse, Fredericton; P2/133.
181 Building removed to make way for Playhouse, Fredericton; P2/134.
182 Buildings removed to make way for Playhouse, Fredericton; P2/135.
183 Buildings removed to make way for Playhouse, Fredericton; P2/136.
184 Soldier’s barracks, Fredericton; P2/137.
185 Government House, Fredericton; P2/138.
186 Queen Street, Fredericton; P2/139.
187 Officer’s Barracks, Fredericton; P2/140.
188 Four members of Fredericton Police Force, c. 1900; P3/2.
189 Fredericton birthday cake of snow, 1935; P3/3.
190 Infantry school corps including Col. Maunsell and Surgeon Brown, c. 1880’s; P132/1.
191 Camp Aldershot, 1893; P132/2.
192 Fort Selkirk, 1897; P132/3.
193 Band of the Infantry School Corps; P132/4.
194 Band of the Infantry School Corps; P132/5.
195 Group of officers; P132/6.
196 Officer’s Quarters, Fredericton; P132/7.
197 Muster roll of unidentified militia unit, n.d.; P132/8 and P132/9.
198 Letter to Mrs. William R. Buswell, Centreville, on the death of her husband from Edward Doyle on behalf of the Number 4 Company Canadian Regiment of Infantry, Fredericton, June 13, 1892; P132/10.
199 Sketch of Charles McFarlane; P132/11.
200 Sketch of Benjamin Franklin Tibbets; P132/12.
201 Sketch of Henry McFarlane; P132/13.
202 Sketch of Mrs. McFarlane; P132/14.
203 Lottie Valentine Porter, daughter of William and Eliza Porter; P132/15.
204 Igraham Smith house, French Lake, Sunbury County, 1964; P132/16.
205 Ingraham Smith house; P132/17.
206 Captain John Barker, P132/76.
207 Sketch of the Baptist Academy and the Baptist Church, [Fredericton] 1847; P132/76.
208 Sketch of Queen Street, Fredericton, by William Crewdson, c. 1855; P132/77.
209 Sketch of the Parish Church with Christ Church Cathedral under construction by William Crewdson, c. 1850; P132/78.
210 Mrs. John Medley – died 1906 P.
211 Queen Victoria [circa 1890-1900] P132/144.
212 Cannons in Officer’s Square, Queen St., Fredericton. August 11, 1969 P.
213 Framed silhouette of C.P. Brennan, wife of Benjamin Wolhaupter, cut 1814. See MS16/9 P ?
215 Lady Ashburnham’s Funeral, Fredericton, 1938.
216 Inspection of Veterans by H.R.H. King Geo. VI, 1939.
217 World War I Training Aircraft.
218 General Montgomery decorating Robert B. Forbes.
219 Fort Hughes, Oromocto.
220 S.S. “Victoria”, 1897-1916 – St. John River Steamer.
221 Maritime 1948 Gilwell, Camp Buchan, P.E.I.
222 His Majesty’s 104th Regimental Tray, circa 1813.
223 Interior of Saint Dunstan’s Church, 1969.
224 Christ Church Cathedral after the fire.
225 Fiftieth reunion, St. Anne’s Boy Scouts, circa 1980.
226 York Sunbury Museum Country Fare Cafe.
227 Old Legislature Building, Fredericton.
228 Fred Coleman & Family in rowboat, photographed by A. Stoerger. (crack in photo)
229 Mr. & Mrs. Fred Coleman and Family on veranda of large house, c.1800? photographed by A. Stoerger.
230 Group of men some in a rowboat with fishing rods, some standing and sitting. (Chauncey Coleman, Gilmour Brown, Bob Barker, George Dibblee, Ron Coleman, Al McClaskey, Ned Allen, Fred Coleman and Nelson Campbell)
231 Group of men: One sitting, 3 standing with rifles and 3 up a pole (Ned Allen, Chauncey Coleman, Al McClaskey, Ronald Coleman. Fred Coleman, Nelson Campbell, Robert Barker and Gilmor Brown)