An entry found in Daniel F. Johnson’s New Brunswick Newspaper Vital Statistics pertaining to Lt. Col. George J. Maunsell. In December 1883, “A” Company of the Infantry School Corps was established in Fredericton, under the command of Lt. Col. Maunsell. Thanks (again) to the Province of New Brunswick Archives for making this database available on-line!
Volume 85 Number 190
Date May 14 1892
County Saint John
Place Saint John
As the Commandant of the Royal School of Infantry at Fredericton and as having been for more than a quarter of a century closely identified with public affairs in this Province, there are few men in N.B. as widely known and more highly esteemed than Lt. Col. George J. MAUNSELL. The Colonel was born at Rathkeale, Vounty of Limerick, Ireland in 1836, his father being George Meanes MAUNSELL, J.P. of Bally-William house. He was educated at home and then adopted the profession of arms, passing final examination with high honors at Sandhurst College in his 19th year. He was then gazetted ensign in the 15th Regt. He received a course of instruction in military training at Aldershot in 1857 and was gazetted in November of that year Lieutenant in his regiment. During the two following years he attended the School of Musketry at Hythe and obtained a first class certificate, whereupon he was gazetted instructor of musketry. He was promoted to a captaincy in the 15th Regt. in 1861 and for about a year was acting adjutant and instructor of musketry at the Eight Depot Battalion. In January 1864 he rejoined the 15th Regt. in New Brunswick and embrased the opportunity that was then afforded to witness actual service by becoming attached to the staff of General Grant of the Army of the Potomac. He was with that army during the whole of the spring campaign of 1865, ending with the capture of Richmond. In 1865 the colonel was appointed Adjutant General of the militia of New Brunswick, and in the following year did effecient service in the movement made on the western frontier of the province to repel the Fenian invasion. In 1868, after Confederation, the Militia Act was passed, underwhich in Jan. 1st following, Col. Maunsell was appointed adjutant general of military district no. 8 (New Brunswick). Some years later he attended a course of study at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich and was granted a certificate. For about two years, commencing with April 1881, the colonel was away from this province, having been transferred to the command of district no. 4 with headquarters at Ottawa. In July 1883, the colonel sailed for England and was attached to H.M. forces at Aldershot for instructional purposes and while in Europe examined with much interest several of the battle fields of the Franco-German war. In November of that year he returned to Canada and in December was gazetted as Commandant of the Royal School of Infantry at Fredericton. In addition to this office, which he has held since May 1884, the position of Deputy Adjutant General of this district. During the seven years the school has been in operation, 167 officers and 432 N.C.O. have been instructed and received certificates of qualifications. In May 1885, the colonel organized and commanded a temporary battalion which was formed of the school corps and eight companies of New Brunswick and Island militias to proceed to proceed to the scene of the Northwest Rebellion, but as it was found that no further troops were required, the battalion was disbanded after a week spent in camp at Sussex. Colonel Maunsell is an adherant to the Episcopal Church, His wife, who he married in 1862, is a d/o late F.E. MOONY, J.P., of “The Doon”, Kings County, Ireland. His family consist of seven children. During his long residence in this province the colonel has shown the warmest sympathy with all kinds of athletic and manly sports. He is an excellent tennis player and cricketer, as well as an ardent discipline of rod and gun. In his leisure moments he has composed several musical selections, which have been highly commended, and his contributions to the press, though all too fugitive, have comprised interesting sketches of forest life.