“From the Editors Desk” (page 3)
“Remembering Mrs. Hill” by Stephanie Patterson (page 4)
This article follows the life of Isabel Louise Hill (Miss Hill), author of volumes of books that mirrored her dedication to the recording and preservation of Fredericton’s history that she wrote until her death in 1996. She was also well known for her feisty attitude and blunt criticisms of local events.
“Miss Hill’s Fredericton” by Louise Hill (page 9)
“74 Shore Street” (page 9)
This article describes 74 Shore Street and many of those who leased this home through 1933. Its origins are unknown but it is thought to consist of one of the oldest standing structures in Fredericton.
“92 Waterloo Row” (page 10)
92 Waterloo Row was home to several influential men of the period including the president of UNB in 1885, manager of the Royal Bank in 1899 and the Premier of New Brunswick in 1935.
“Bliss Carman House” (page 11)
“Summer Villa” (page 13)
This home had immense ceilings and beautiful woodwork throughout. When it caught fire, men worked quickly to save doors and windows which were used in the restoration and are part of Summer Villa today.
“Ketchum Place” (page 15)
7 Elmcroft Place, now a prominent bed and breakfast, was once home to several influential families of Fredericton. It changed ownership many times until Henry Ketchum bought it in 1865 and whose family retained ownership until the mid 1900’s.
“Oxford Cottage” (page 17)
Oxford Cottage was a tiny home located near the bottom of the university. It housed mainly individuals and small families teaching or affiliated with the university.
“Little Glencoe” (page 19)
Little Glencoe was home to several elite, successful and socially popular women in the late 1800’s. The name has since faded and is now more commonly known as 745 George Street.
“The Rectory” (page 20)
Constructed of imported bricks from England, the rectory, or 734 George Street was home to several Rectors of Fredericton and their families until 1914 when it was purchased by the police magistrate of the time.
“The Biggs House” (page 21)
Now destroyed, the Biggs House, surrounding buildings and property had been in the Biggs family for over 150 years. At one time it was the site of many businesses and activity for the community including undertaker and messenger services.
“Evelyn Grove” (page 22)
This article chronicles the many families who lived at Frogmore, Dundonald Street – now an apartment building. Further, it discusses the many renovations the house incurred and the increase of the properties’ acerage.
“217 George Street” (page 25)
Originally parish land, 217 George Street was home to Leonard Johnson, successful business man and founder of J. Clark and Son, and his family for the latter part of the 1800’s.
“Risteen’s Factory” (page 27)
This article describes the former Lockwood house, to Risteen’s factory and currently a men’s clothing store. It was the first home in Fredericton to be built of cut stoneA limited number of this edition is available for purchase at the museum. If you are interested in acquiring copies of articles from previous issues of the Officers’ Quarters, please contact the office for details or fill out this form.