Co-Chairs: Terry Arnold, Fred White
Members: John Christenson, George Saunders, Andrea (Hicks) Randall, Leanne (Merrill) Scott, Wendy Smith
Supervising Editor: Vincent Erickson
Pre-Publication Advisors: Anita & Ted Jones
This issue is a Cooperative Publication of the Marysville Heritage Committee and the York-Sunbury Historical Society
“Publication Committee Report” (page 3)
“Marysville Heritage Committee History ‘The Beginnings'” submitted by Wendy Smith from Minutes of Bill DeGrace, City of Fredericton Representative (page 4)
This article outlines the recognition of Marysville’s historical significance, the opportunities this presents and the achievements of the society to date.
“First Heritage Committee Award Recipient, Dr. D. Murray Young” (page 6)
This series of articles chronicles the recipients of the Dr. D. Murray Young Heritage Award from 2006 through 2008. It describes the contributions recipients have made to the preservation of the history of Maryville, NB.
“Second Heritage Committee Award Recipient, Dr. D. D. Pond” (page 7)
“Third Heritage Committee Award Recipients, Joey and Catherine Munn” (page 8)
“Slabtown and Other Place Names” by D. Murray Young (Reprint of 1988 Article) (page 9)
This article describes the community endearingly known as ‘slabtown’ in Marysville because of the slabs of wood milled there. It describes the mills and businesses as well as the favorite gathering places of the children.
“Other Marysville Place Names” submitted by Leanne (Merrill) Scott (page 13)
“Gibson House” submitted by Terry Arnold and Fred White (page 14)
This article provides a photo of a home suspected to be Alexander Gibson family’s home at Oak Bay but has yet to be confirmed.
“Historic Gibson Home” submitted by Andrea (Hicks) Randall (page 15)
This article describes the home Boss Gibson had built for his family for his family, in Marysville, NB as well as a photo of the mansion.
“Boss Gibson’s Chair” information from Joey Munn / notes by Terry Arnold / written July 2008 (page 16)
This article describes a chair once belonging to Alexander ‘Boss’ Gibson. It discusses how the chair was retrieved and memorialized as well as its whereabouts today.
“Hatt House: 293 Canada Street, Marysville” submitted by Andrea (Hicks) Randall (page 17)
This article concerns the house at 293 Canada Street, known as Hatt House, and trivia provided by Marion Daulphin, whose father inherited the house when he bought he Marysville Cotton Mill in the 1900’s. Marion was born in the home and continues to summer there.
“Marysville Train Station” / “Alexander Gibson (Industrialist)” submitted by Andrea (Hicks) Randall (page 19)
This article depicts the building of a railway to facilitate Alexander Gibson’s sawmill industry and timber land as well as linking communities.
“Gibson Covered Iced Rink (1888); Largest Covered Ice Rink in the Maritimes” submitted by Andrea (Hicks) Randall (page 20)
This article describes the James Gibson covered skating rink, built in 1878. It highlights the repairs and advanced technology improvements until it was destroyed in 1913. It also describes the discovery of an original yearly pass for the rink in 1994.
“Marysville River Hockey” by Alan (Skip) Stafford (Reprint of 1977 Article) submitted by Leanne (Merrill) Scott (page 22)
“Marysville Mother and Her World War II Experience” by Fred White (page 24)
This article demonstrates how the families of those killed in action during the Second World War were notified. It presents a copy of the news one family received by telegram indicating their son had been killed and a hand-handwritten letter from the Chaplain offering condolences.
“Thistle Dairy (1931-1966)” submitted by John Christenson (page 27)
This article describes the evolution of Thistle Dairy. The company began in 1931in Marysville with bottled milk home delivery, then, as technology and demand improved, the operation grew substantially and moved to a larger location in Devon. In 1966, after 35 years, Thistle Dairy closed.
“Nashwaak River Reminiscences” submitted by John Christenson (page 29)
“The Day the Marysville Bridge Crumbled” submitted by Leanne (Merrill) Scott (page 33)
This article describes the flood of 1970 in Marysville causing loss of electricity and phone lines and perhaps most damaging was the collapse of the bridge creating great inconvenience.
“Royals Field” submitted by Leanne (Merrill) Scott (this article is reprinted with permission from Fredericton Heritage Trust) (page 35)
“Marysville Rock ‘n Roll – 1960” submitted by Terry Arnold (page 36)
This article describes the Marysville Band Teddy and the Royals. It follows the bands creation, member recruitment and shows in Marysville and surrounding areas in the mid 1960’s. It also narrates the band member’s lives after high school up to the current day.
“Marysville’s Oldest Citizen is 101” submitted by Barb (Kolding) Elliott (page 40)
This article describes Caroline (Carrie) Farrell’s eventful 101 years who now holds the distinction of being Marysville’s oldest citizen.
“Called Home” poem written by Fred F. Flanagan after the fatal accident on the Canadian National Railway(page 42)
This article features a poem and photographs about the fatal train accident near Marysville in 1920 that killed two men.
“A Brief History of Marysville” submitted by Leanne (Merrill) Scott (page 43)
This article describes the creation of Marysville, Chronicling events from the early 1700’s to early 1990’s. It includes the establishment of industry, railroads, politics and schools.
“The First Methodist Church at Marysville” submitted by Andrea (Hicks) Randall (page 45)
This article decribesthe construction of the elaborate Methodist Church in Marysville in the late 1800’s. It housed worshipers for almost 40 years until it was destroyed by fire in 1911.
“Gibson Family Tree and Early Family Photos” credit Arvin Gibson and Ted Jones (page 46)
This article describes the genealogy of the Gibson family through information contained in a book about the Gibson family, a detailed genealogy chart and photographs.
Back Cover Image – Veterans Drive (page 48)
As they say: “Whatever happens at the Millbrook, stays at the Millbrook!”